©Debruyn LLC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Search
  • Nico De Bruyn

The Magic Happens In Line

Updated: Jun 15, 2019

"It’s in these lines that the real magic happens, not the four minutes of ups and down from a rollercoaster. "





On a recent trip to Disneyworld in Orlando, I was once again, stunned by the sheer amount of people that flow through these parks each and every day. The lines were long, the crowds were crowded, but people kept coming and coming. I was blown away by the fact that so many would stand in lines, some upwards to two hours. Personally, if it weren’t for my family, I wouldn’t venture anywhere close to these parks. But there I was, in a 45-minute line when I realized it wasn’t about the rides at all. If you think about it, the rides make up less than 10% of the time you are in the park. The other 90% you are in line. Waiting, endlessly, to move only a few feet. It’s in this organized chaos that the real magic happens. Family’s are confined to a small area, with no distractions. No loud tv’s, no way to get up and walk away, just you and your family in line. You do have the opportunity to get socials, but let’s face it, there’s only so many times you can refresh! This you get to talking, about real topics. Topics that move the needle and make a difference. These are the places you really get to know the person right next to you.

The best analogy that I can come up with is that of any professional sports team. In these areas, you are tried and tested, along with other men or women. All of them are striving for something more, but doing it together. As they suffer, they grow closer, until a bond that is deeper forms between all parties. The same goes for standing in lines as a family it’s a brutal experience but as you do it more and more, the closer you become. Kids especially benefit from this. If you go and cut, you might score a few fewer minutes in line and a few more rides, but at what cost. Even the youngest of kids know that it’s an unspoken rule to be polite, not cut in line and wait for your turn. Follow through and keep this as a standard, because those lessons will last far longer than the memory of that ride. Plus that’s not even what Disney is about; it’s not the rides, the excessive candy or the overpriced water. It’s deeper than that; it’s about bringing family’s together.

It’s in these lines that the real magic happens, not the four minutes of ups and down from a rollercoaster.

15 views